Friday, February 22, 2008

Guess the Criminal’s Race – the home game

Did you hear about the guy who was pistol-whipped and robbed in broad daylight today in midtown Manhattan? In front of a damn Starbucks?

Yep, got dragged halfway down the street, they say. I heard about it on MSNBC. And then I couldn’t help myself; my mind played Guess the Criminal’s Race.

I guessed: black dude.

Can’t explain why. Just that a pistol-whipping on a sidewalk – at mid-day – conjures up a mental image.

MSNBC didn’t report the suspect’s race this afternoon. So I tried to find out on the internets tonight.

Local station WNBC reports that the victim was robbed of $150,000 in cash. He had just withdrawn it from the bank.

According to WNBC: “Police were searching [for] a suspect they described as a man between 25 and 30 years old who was wearing a black parka, black pants is about five feet 9 inches tall.”

Uhhh... what? A “man”? That’s it?

I know there’s a controversy in journalism about whether or not to report the race of criminal suspects. I say that’s bullshit if the suspect is still on the loose. As this case illustrates.

You got a gunman at large, right? Why in hell do you report that he’s 5-foot-9... and not report whether he’s black, white, Hispanic or Asian? Makes no sense, except by some twisted liberal logic. Somebody want to explain it to me?

Anyway, competing station WCBS came through with the facts:

“The suspect is described as a black man about 25-30 years old, 5-foot-9 and wearing a black parka and black pants.”

Now... that’s reporting what happened. And I win this round of Guess the Criminal’s Race – the home game.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who withdraws $150,000 from the bank?
If they don't take checks, don't do business with them. There is much, much more to this story. Like how did the criminal know that this record executive was going to the bank?

Malcolm said...

White man’s guilt strikes again.

bklyn6 said...

Can’t explain why. Just that a pistol-whipping on a sidewalk – at mid-day – conjures up a mental image.

Something about that reminds me of an incident that happened on the streets of NYC in broad daylight last year.

"The gunman 'was running this way putting a new clip in'.... 'He turned around, firing at [auxiliary police].'"

"Garvin then exchanged gunfire with regular officers, who shot him, the mayor said. Authorities said Garvin shot about 26 rounds in the rampage."

"In a search of Garvin's Bronx apartment, authorities found another weapon, a loaded .357-caliber revolver and about 100 rounds of ammunition [Hmmm...he lives in the Bronx and he's got extra heat and ammo, maybe he's black?] along with a wig, false moustache [Not!] and knives, Kelly said."

I don't remember if his race was mentioned during news telecasts but when I saw his photo I was a little relieved. (Unless he was light-skinned?)

*Tanyetta* said...

I knew it, I knew it!

Dollar Bill said...

My Mother played a round of this game with me,when she found out that I got rolled by four guys, on my way through the parking lot to my building one night.

First question out of my Mom's mouth was,"Were they Black?".

This from the same person that taught me as a child that Paul Robeson was more than just a singer and encouraged me to discover and respect all cultures.

To find that brewing in her,hurt more than the beatdown I suffered from those guys.
Heartbreaking.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Everybody plays this game, DJ. I don't think it's evil to do so.

When I hear about an 8-year-old girl who is kidnapped, molested and murdered... my mind says, "White guy."

Four-on-one in a parking lot? I'd think "black guys" too.

They were black, right?

Dollar Bill said...

Nope,drunk white red necks finishing off their night in a bar.

One had just gotten out of Prison for backing his pick-up truck through a closed Liquor Store to rob it.

Just took me off-guard that those words came from Mom even before asking bout the facts.

It felt almost like it was not only expected for them to be Black,but some secret hope that it was,almost to explain it away,because of course white folks would never do something like that.

I was even more disapointed when the court case came up and they plead it out as aggravated assault.

They all had long records,but that is a charge as serious as getting in a school yard fight.

I guess I aggravated them because I kept getting up,even though they were bouncing my head off a parking curb.LOL

Canada's legal system can be F**ked up too!

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Sorry that that happened to you, DJ.

In the U.S., however, "aggravated assault" is a serious felony. It includes stabbings and shootings. Different definition up there?

Dollar Bill said...

There are different classes for aggravated assault,just like the US and they got the lesser version.

It's all good now,more than 10 plus years ago.
I got into that vicious victim metality,where I was not only ready for the next time,but looking forward to it.
Maybe even looking for it.
Lucky for me and for others it never happened.

Once I got through my "parinoid,be prepared,Boy Scout,Bronson",phase and moved back to a smaller city,I have been able to scale back to something akin to a security blanket.
Not likely to seriously harm anyone,but makes me feel better.

Destruction said...

Sorry to hear that DJ.

Here, we play a variation on that theme. It's guess the race and sex of the "Idiot Driver". I only play when the kids aren't around ...but....

It's all a part of a larger campaign to keep me calm behind the wheel and from swearing in front of my 9 and 10 year old girls. Instead of "yousummanabeech". These days it's more like, "Look at that Great American Hero" or "Check out that Rocket Scientist".