Monday, May 26, 2008

A free Hamiet Bluiett download

Baritone saxophonist Hamiet Bluiett, a founding member of the World Saxophone Quartet, is a titan of avant-garde jazz.

Let me point you to a FREE MP3 of Bluiett and two other serious cats – percussionist Kahil El’Zabar and violinist Billy Bang (about whom I blogged last September).

This trio, under the group name Tri-Factor, released a 2002 CD titled “If You Believe.” Which is also the title of the free track.

Click here to hear it on my Vox blog.

Follow this link to Amazon.com if you wanna download it. But there’s an error; the track is labeled “Dark Silhouette”... but it’s actually “If You Believe.”

The full album is downloadable from iTunes and Amazon.

Now for something extra. Below is a 10-minute profile of Hamiet Bluiett recently broadcast on KECT, St. Louis’s public television station. Old dude reminds me of Grady on “Sanford and Son.”

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bluiett is great. I remember checking him out a couple of years ago, but sadly I forgot about him. You're often spot on with these musical selections. You're getting me back into jazz. Cheers.

DeAngelo Starnes said...

That was good one to pull out. World Saxophone Quartet is one of staple groups being a former saxophone player. Played baritone for a minute, too.

Bluiett put out a cd called The Clarinet Family that I can't find. Anyone know where I can get it?

Undercover Black Man said...

Anyone know where I can get it?

DeAngelo, "The Clarinet Family" is available on eBay. Don't know if you mess around on eBay at all. (I haven't bought anything there in years.)

Undercover Black Man said...

You're getting me back into jazz. Cheers.

Cheers back, John-Paul. Glad you're liking the music. Thanks.

DeAngelo Starnes said...

Thanks Dave. I actually took a chance Amazon would have it. Bought the last one in stock.

BTW, 24-7 Spyz remastered and re-released out of print joints Harder than You and Gumbo Millenium. That Gumbo Millenium is off the chain. Especially New Super Hero Worship and Dude U Knew.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ I ordered that one off eBay. Looks like a clarinet version of WSQ?? (If only Dolphy had lived...)

DeAngelo Starnes said...

^RE: Clarinet Family - that's why I can't wait to hear it.

I shot you a link to an interesting controversial piece on your email.