Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday 12-inch Flashback: ‘Livin’ It Up (Friday Night)’

This one takes me right back to my senior year of high school. Autumn of ’78, to be precise.

R&B music made you feel so good back then. “Livin’ It Up,” recorded 30 years ago, still sounds fresh as a daisy.

Bell & James were a one-hit wonder as recording artists. But they had a career as Philly songwriters behind them. (Leroy Bell’s uncle was the legendary producer Thom Bell.)

Bell & James wrote “Mama Can’t Buy You Love,” which was a Top-10 hit for Elton John (and produced by Thom Bell).

Anyway... cheers to the Vinyl Morpher for uploading this:

7 comments:

bklyn6 said...

I saw the title and knew it was blank & somebody. (Grey & Hanks, Young & Co. etc.)

I definitely remember this cut! Thanks for posting.

Undercover Black Man said...

Yeah, I get 'em mixed up with Grey & Hanks too... :^D

"You Fooled Me" was hittin' at the same time as this record.

Anonymous said...

I remember that jam, it was quite funky. Here're two of my favorites from back in the days of true, primal funk.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=svLBgx9CTYI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nQmABbwneSU

Undercover Black Man said...

^ I stumbled across that exact same Chuck Brown video this morning, mayne!

bklyn6 said...

Yeah, I get 'em mixed up with Grey & Hanks too... :^D

I love G&H's "Dancin'." I searched high and low for that mp3, but I found it.

Thanks for the Cymande link, fishesalot. I don't know why I don't have that cut on my player. I own the "Crooklyn" soundtracks and it's on one of them.

btw, UBM I just received the Homemade Jamz's CD can't wait to check it out! :-D

Anonymous said...

Dang!!! 30 years ago? Are we THAT old? I remember it was yesterday - my senior year too.

Undercover Black Man said...

Are we THAT old?

It's so sad, GenevaGirl. And if the last 30 went that quick... imagine how fast the next 30 gonna go.