Thursday, July 17, 2008

Coming on DVD: ‘I Got the Feelin’ ’

Arriving in stores on August 5 will be a hot triple-DVD box called “I Got the Feelin’: James Brown in the ’60s,” a look at the Hardest Working Man in Show Business in his prime.

One disc features a TV special that hasn’t been seen in 40 years – “Man to Man: James Brown Live at The Apollo Theater 1968.”

Another disc includes JB’s legendary concert at Boston Garden the night after Martin Luther King was assassinated. That televised event is credited with saving the city from riots.

The third disc contains a “director’s cut” of “The Night James Brown Saved Boston,” a documentary shown on VH1 last April.

Here’s a preview of that documentary:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can you say. King James was one in a million, and he touched us all in some way. I still can't believe that he's moved on. Seems like only yesterday that I was kid trying to cop the guitar licks in Motha Popcorn.

I never met James but I've played with a few dudes that were members of the Flames at one point or another. He'll be missed but never forgotten.

RIP James, RIP, and wherever you are, I know you've got a brand new bag and it's got to be funky!

Peace

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

I'm getting that DVD! Loved James Brown many times. His hometown, Augusta, is not that far from Atlanta, Georgia, where I grew up. Saw him all the time; and he never disappointed...People went crazy, especially when he would sing "Georgia on My Mind."

Dacks said...

This DVD set is great, even better than I expected. It's much more than just performance footage - the documentary disc is SUPERB. It examines JB in a way that never would have been possible through the many CD reissues alone...

UBM, have you blogged about the James Brown Reader (to which you contribute)? Another must have for the JB-o-phile.