Friday, March 20, 2009

Eddie Bo (1930-2009)

The New Orleans music community is mourning another fallen member tonight. Local R&B hero Eddie Bo (Edwin Joseph Bocage) has died at the age of 78.

I actually heard the news from a musician – drummer Derrick Freeman – who visited the set of “Treme” today.

The Associated Press obituary is here. The local Times-Picayune obit is here.

Ironically, Eddie Bo a few weeks ago posted on his website a tribute to Snooks Eaglin, the recently deceased New Orleans guitarist.

In Mr. Bo’s honor, I’m spinning one of his funkier cuts, the 1970 single “Check Your Bucket,” on my Vox blog. Click here to listen.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OHHHHHH nooooo!!!
I was spinning his shite earlier today at a session!!!!
I am a huge fan!!!!

Kellybelle said...

"A sho-nuff bucket"--that was funky. Man, there's so much music I just don't know and here I am 10 minutes from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They should have a wing dedicated to interviewing these cats before it's too late.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ My only visit to your fair city, Kellybelle, was in 1997 when Parliament-Funkadelic was inducted into the Rock Hall. Love that museum.

Anonymous said...

damn, that's good. love the tuba/syncopated rhythm in the introductory stanza...nola funk. fantastic!!!