Friday, October 30, 2009

Dr. John in New Orleans (10/29/09)

Got a chance to hang with some “Treme” folks last night at House of Blues.

The great Dr. John played a charity gig to benefit the New Orleans Musicians Clinic.

’Twas my first time seeing Dr. John. And he can still spank the hell out of those keys, though he moves a bit slow getting to the bench. (Dude has been making records for 50 years!)

He had plenty of guest stars with him: George Porter, Jr. (of the Meters) ... James Andrews (whom I just mentioned earlier this week)... Irma Thomas...

Dr. John rocked such old crowd-pleasers as “Tipitina,” “Goodnight, Irene” and “Let the Good Times Roll.” Speaking of crowd-pleasers, the packed house went bananas as guest vocalist/trumpeter Andrews led the band through “Oo Poo Pah Doo,” a New Orleans R&B classic.

I left early, because at this point in life, for me, nothing tops sleep. Long about 10:30, I was standing there thinking, “Oooh, I’mo fuck that mattress up tonight. I’m gonna sleep gooood.” Wound up missing Irma Thomas, and I’m told she was fantastic.

Maybe the longer I’m in New Orleans, the more stamina I’ll get. Meantime, let me spin a couple of platters on my Vox blog...

Click here to hear Dr. John’s 1972 recording of “Let the Good Times Roll” (a.k.a. “Come On”). Click hear to hear Earl King’s original version from 1960.

My thanks to photographer Dino Perrucci, who allowed me to post one of his shots from the show. Dr. John strapped on a guitar for “Let the Good Times Roll.” (Come to find out guitar was his first instrument.)

9 comments:

junebug said...

I'm sure he did "Right Place, Wrong Time" (my jam!). I just hope he didn't do "Love That Chicken From Popeyes" or that awful theme from Blossom that he also sang.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ At first I misremembered that Leon Redbone sang the "Blossom" theme song. Actually, Leon Redbone sang "Mr. Belvedere."

bklyn6 said...

I'm sure he did "Right Place, Wrong Time" (my jam!).

Bingo, junebug.

I've got it on my player. When I saw this post it was the first (and only) Dr. John song that came to mind. :-/

Undercover Black Man said...

I have titled my first "Treme" script... "Right Place, Wrong Time."

maria said...

great title, david. and i am so looking forward to watching!

and this cracked me up, because i so agree:

"I left early, because at this point in life, for me, nothing tops sleep."

but i think it's just fucking SAD. but i love my bed more than anything! and i'm a tad older than you.

TayTay said...

The Doctor! He play Such a Night? Oooh yeah!

Geneva Girl said...

I've seen him twice in Philly, once at the Jambalaya Fest and the other at a club. He had an Asian chick playing the guitar or bass, I don't remember which now. I know we were wrong, but the reverse stereotype had us cracking up. She was not what we'd have expected, but the girl could play.

Maybe as we get older, as do the performers, they'll have 6:00 p.m. shows so us old folks can get to bed on time!

Anonymous said...

my eyes are green
i think that when i am out too about how good it is going to feel to lay down.

uglyblackjohn said...

Ha ha old man...
I thought I was conditioned to stay up late nights because I used to run bars out West.
But The Boot is a different game - I was nowhere near prepared for bars closing when the sun COMES UP.