Thursday, October 15, 2009

The new Coati Mundi 12-inch

Let’s wrap up Hispanic Heritage Month with a post about my favorite Nuyorican – Andy Hernandez, a.k.a. Coati Mundi.

He is most fondly remembered as August Darnell’s right-hand man in Kid Creole & the Coconuts... an impish little showboat who spiced up one of the hippest live acts of the 1980s.

Hernandez and Darnell go back further than that; “Sugar-Coated Andy” played vibes in Dr. Buzzard’s Original Savannah Band.

Coati Mundi has also cut a few records under his own name... but not in last 20 years or so. Until, in July, he put out a three-song digital 12-inch of new material. (He put it out on vinyl as well.)

Because I’ve always dug Coati Mundi, I will spin one of those new tracks on my Vox blog... even though they don’t bang like his old ones. Click here to hear “Dancing Disco 101.”

For old time’s sake, click here to hear one of his early-’80s joints.

3 comments:

reginald hudlin said...

To know him is to love him. He's a great guy.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Cool, Reg. He did a little acting too, didn't he? I wish he'd done more.

Coati Mundi said...

Hola UCM !!!

Wow... was sent a link to this and what a sweet sizzling surprise to see that the amazing Reginald Hudlin commented... I am doubly honored ... Hope you don't mind but I've put this link on my web site's press page ...big GRACIAS - Coati Mundi