Thursday, January 7, 2010

Playlist: Black rocker chicks rock!

Will the Twenty-Teens be the decade of Black Rocker Chicks? Surely a lot of talented black women – more than ever before, it seems – are going the indie-rock route. Even if very few of them get famous.

Some of them I’ve blogged about before. Dita Vox of Thee Emergency, Lisa Kekaula of the BellRays, Shingai Shoniwa of England’s Noisettes...

Here go some more, streaming on my Vox blog. God bless ’em for doing their thing.

1. “Remember” – Three5Human

Atlanta’s Three5Human is fronted by vocalist Trina Meade, a.k.a. Black Rock Queen.

She got a break a few years ago when Three5Human toured with the Indigo Girls. You can see Ms. Meade singing “Midnight Train to Georgia” on the new Indigo Girls DVD “Live at the Roxy.” And the Indigo Girls provide guest vocals on the 2007 Three5Human album “A Swig from the Acid Bottle.”

The track I’m streaming is from the album “Sunlight and Toys.”

2. “Pearl” – Tamar-kali

I got turned on to Brooklyn’s Tamar-kali by one of my readers, daughterofthedream. I blogged about Tamar-kali in 2008. This cut, “Pearl,” is brand new.

According to Rob Fields, the must-read music blogger at Bold As Love, Tamar-kali’s new album – “Black Bottom” – is due out next spring.

3. “On My Way” – Res

Res is another artist I stumbled upon at Bold As Love. You can download Res’s new album, “Black.Girls.Rock!,” for free. Just follow this link to her homepage, and peep the lower left-hand corner.

4. “Box” (live) – Shelley Nicole’s blaKbüshe

Shelley Nicole is another one from Brooklyn. Her new release is called “The Quick & Dirty E.P.”

5. “The Hard Way” – The Doll Daze

More FREE MP3s... this time from Atlanta’s The Doll Daze (pictured left). To cop her six-song EP, follow this link.

Hey... how about a battle of the bands between Brooklyn and Atlanta black rocker chicks?

6 comments:

bklyn6 said...

Hey... how about a battle of the bands between Brooklyn and Atlanta black rocker chicks?

Like Santigold and Jay-Z say: "Brooklyn we go hard." :-)

I liked "Pearl." Three5Human (cool name) sounded sort of Betty Davis-ish.

I didn't even recognize Res in that (fabulous) photo. I have her "How Do I" cd. Trying to remember if I first heard about it here. :-)

Undercover Black Man said...

Yeah, Brooklyn would crush. Unless Mother's Finest stood up for the ATL.

Res is new to me. Good CD?

bklyn6 said...

I haven't listened to the CD in some time. But, I think my favorite song is "Golden Boys." People have said that she sounds a little like Stevie Nicks. I can hear it a little on "They Say Vision." (I think it's a remix.)

Looking at the CD right now. One of the executive producers is Santi[gold] White.

eclectique916 said...

Thanks for posting these tracks UBM. NeoSoul puts me to sleep. Sometimes you just need to rock out.

uglyblackjohn said...

I was playing the originals to every new song that samples songs from the '80's for my little cousins.
They had no idea how much influence early Mtv videos had on today's popular Black music.
Most of these Black chick rockers probably grew up listening to the rock their parents listened to. (Back in the day, Mtv played a lot of British rock and most people are familiar with bands like the Police, Duran Duran or whomever.)

What's up in Virginia Beach?
T. Riley, Kenna and Pherell are all on the rock tip.

Redz.Harvest said...

Wow. This blog will keep me occupied for years. Here's a new one for you (in this category): Sistas In The Pit. Believe they're from No. Cali. and are a favorite of Mike Watt. They definitely rock.